Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sage rubbed pork chops with cinnamon apples and stir-fried grated sweet potatoes


I know, it's been two months since I've had an entry.  Bad Natalie.  Fall was a whirlwind.  My busy September and October took their toll on my waistline and wallet.  I'm pretty sure that I put on 3 or 4 pounds, but refuse to step on a scale.  Additionally, Christmas with all of its expenses is quickly approaching which includes two plane tickets to Mexico City to visit the in-laws plus a live in house-sitter to take care of our two kujos and our 20 lb. attack-cat.  Cha-ching.  I promise to take lots of food pics and report from Mey-heee-koe.  And if any of you have any suggestions about where to eat in Mexico City, drop me a line. 

So, my point is that the next six weeks I vow to be cooking at home.  More specifically I vow to be making relatively healthy meals so that I don't look like a Baluga next to my beautiful, older, skinny, sisters-in-law.  

On the the recipes!

Pork Chop with Cinnamoin Apples
Source - Cooking Light

Now stop that internet!  Don't gag at the mention of cooking light.  True, some of their recipes are aweful, but there are some goodies in there.  

Ingredients
Dry Rubbed sage
salt
pepper
4 boneless pork loin chops
1 tsp butter
4 peeled sliced apples
1 Tblsp brown sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
0.5 tsp ground cinnamon

Instructions
1.  Season pork chops with salt and pepper, coat with sage
2.  Cook pork chops in large skillet
3.  Melt butter in skillet
4.  Add apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and a dash of salt
5.  Saute until just soft
6.  Serve apples atop pork chops

Grated stir-fried sweet potatoes

So I saw this idea for stir fried sweet potatoes one of Bittman's articles.  Love that guy.  This is my new favorite way to prep sweet potatoes.  I changed the seasoning because I didn't want to add more butter to my meal, and because I didn't want to over-do it with the sage (see recipe above).  So, I took his suggestion and just sprinkled with a bit of soy sauce.....SOOOOO GOOOOD.  The taters were all carmelized, and savory, and a little sweet.  Can't wait for my leftovers tonight.

My ingredients
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt
1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce

Instruction
1.  Heat oil in large skillet
2.  Toss in taters, sprinkles with salt and soy sauce
3.  Stir occaisionally until done (maybe 5 minutes)

No comments: