Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Okra!

I haven't uploaded pics of dinner from last night, but it was a southern produce feast. I was raised a Yankee, so the world of Southern produce is still new to me. One of the items on the menu last night, Okra. I like okra. I like it fried, in gumbo, and pickled however I was not prepared or in the mood for any of those preparations. So after a bit of internet searching, I discovered that many folks really like it roasted. Who knew, roasted okra? Roasting is just about my favorite way to prepare most veggies, so I thought this was right up my ally. And, since there is no cutting involved you can avoid the gross okra slime, which somehow disappears during roasting. AND, since the veg has a nice built-in handle, they make a great finger food.

Ingredients
Okra
Olive oil
course salt (kosher or sea)
Any other seasoning you like (curry powder, cayenne, etc)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350
Wash and pat dry whole fresh okra
Toss to coat in olive oil
Sprinkle generously with salt and seasoning
Roast 20-25 minutes

3 comments:

H said...

Hooray!!! I have been looking for a recipe like this. All the other okra preparations I've seen are all so work-intensive.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

i do this all the time with okra. better than french fries. totally a snap. we love it!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for this. I too am from the north, and had no idea what to do with okra. I got a huge bag of them in my CSA, and they sit in my fridge waiting. I will roast them.